Sunday 11 January 2015

School: Exams, Revision and Advice

Hello everyone,

For this weeks blog post I wanted to talk about school considering some of you including myself have exams very soon, I wanted to talk to you about exams, revision and advice for school in general.



Exams -

Exams can be a very stressful time trust me, but you need to keep calm I am going to share with you my advice when it comes to exams, and what could make it an easier experience for you:

  • For my the most stressful thing about exams is having the 'countdown' of when it's going be really testing your knowledge. But you need to find out as soon as possible when your exams are, and figure out when your going to start revising. Because you are going to do this ahead of time your going to be prepared by leaving yourself enough time to go over everything. 
  • Also you need to identify ahead of time what are your weaknesses in each subject, for my in Science I get distracted easily so I am going to work of that so when I can easily get work done and revision done. Also if you have a weakness of Algebra in Maths you know this is what you need to focus on improving.
  • Making a revision timetable is a brilliant way to stay organised as well as keeping on track of all your exams, which is preventing stress. I typed into Google revision timetable for some ideas and just made mine on pages/word. To stay extra organised I have made one for each lesson with Monday-Sunday to write down that specific subject revision, then made a general one with all my times and what I am revising each day.
I am also going to share with you some basic exam advice from organisation to equipment, some as a reminder and things you might found helpful:

  • Make sure you know when your exams are, and where they are taking place at what time. Also try and turn up around 5 minutes early to give yourself time to get organised and ready.
  • Bring the right equipment to your exam, for a maths paper your need a calculator (for Calc paper) and a maths sets, rubber, pencil, pen, ruler etc. Also bring extra pens (black) and extra pencils just in case.
  • Know were your sitting in the exam, row and seat number. You might want to write this on a post it note if you forget easily.
  • Read each instruction 3 times over, insuring you know what it's asking you. If you don't understand one put a star but it and come back at the end. Also bring a highlighter with you to underline important information.
  • Look at the marks for each question, this will give you a guide on how much you need to write and how much you should spend on each question. 1 mark = 1 piece of information and around one minute.
  • Leave enough time at the end of the paper to go back and check each answer and question.
Revision -

Revising is something everyone can struggle at sometime doing exams but for all different reasons, some people struggle with knowing how to revise were for other it's having the motivation. These are just some things that help me:

  • During lessons if you can have a choice of having writing your notes or typing them, always chosen writing because it sinks in more because you spend more time doing it. You will learn it much better but making how you learn best, from colour to abbreviations.
  • When I am revising at home I will do a lot but not as much as I could get done after school, this is why I recommend that you do as many after school revision lessons as possible, because you will benefit for it in a lot of ways.
  • Plan your revision time around what you have to revise, we would all love to take the easy route by doing the things we know, but their is probably a lot more that you don't know, you need to challenge yourself by practising what you get stuck on. (Practise makes perfect)
  • Lastly, use the internet to your advantage, their are so many apps, websites and places to help you with your revision, a lot of the time these websites and apps are made for people our age. Some websites are Exam Time, Spark notes, CGP App these are just a few great apps and websites. 

General School advice -

Moving away from the stressful side of school I wanted to touch on a few other things that come along school for example moving on (year 11+) and school life in general.


  • Make the most of your secondary school because I can tell you all ready that it has played such a massive part of my life, make the most of having close friend groups and having the laughs, because work, university and after year 11 are going to be much harder and different.
  • When your choosing what to do after year 11, just weigh up the pros and cons of what your thinking about, also think about what field of work you want to go into, but take into consideration your strengths if your better at exams or course work.
  • In your lessons don't go getting told off every lessons because your fall behind and will end up biting you on your back side! Their is no need to get in trouble because it will end up affecting you in your older years, especially with course content.
I think that is everything I need to mention so far about school! Comment if you have any questions about school for me.


No comments :

Post a Comment